Wednesday 14 October 2015

Orla- something special!

When Tilly and the Buttons released a new pattern I was very quick to begin sewing. Before I had even ordered the pattern I had chosen the fabric from my stash! I decided to use a drapey cat print fabric I bought from Walthamstow at the start of the year. I have never been that sure if I loved or hated the fabric. Katie from 'What Katie Sews' made a dress in the same fabric a few weeks back. I decided to make the pattern in a size 2 as Tilly and the Buttons patterns can sometimes be a bit too small across the back for me.
I was pleased with the outcome of the blouse! I made a few alterations when sewing, I needed to adjust the front darts to come up higher for me and I also needed to adjust the sleeves as they were too long on the shoulders. I'm now pretty pleased with the fit of the top.
The exposed zip definitely posed a challenge for me! I cut the slit for the zip before actually buying the zip and next time I would definitely make this a centimetre smaller as I had to place the zip in quite low to fill the space. It's always good to learn a new skill though and Tilly's instructions are, as ever, very easy to follow.
I absolutely love the collar which is very feminine and is such a pretty shape! I (unsuccessfully) attempted to pattern match, but I didn't properly allow for the curve of the collar. Oh well, there's always next time. Despite this I am very happy with my new blouse and will definitely be keeping my eyes peeled for some more drapey fabric to make another one! If you looked at my last post from The Knit and Stitch Show you might have noticed me wearing this top. I got an overwhelming amount of compliments throughout the day about this top so I definitely think that everyone should have an Orla in their wardrobe!

4 comments:

  1. Very nice ! Sew pretty !
    Happy sewing
    Käthe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Käthe. It was a lovely pattern to sew! Happy sewing to you too!

      Delete
  2. Very cute, I am tempted with this pattern also. Just finished my first Bettine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire! I really recommend it, it was lovely to sew. I haven't made Bettine yet but it's definately on my list! X

      Delete